Ready for a weekend project with your kids? Who can resist a Unicorn?
These simple little DIY Unicorn Banks are made with materials you already have at home but are any thing but ordinary and are just waiting for you!
I created these to be a functional bank but, oh, even I can hardly resist the urge to play, too!
Let’s get started:
- Box (If you’d like to make the same size we’ve made, use a recycled Tea Box)
- White Paint
- Paint Brush
- Cutting Utensil: scissors or Xacto Knife
- Decoration Materials: Washi Tape, Duct Tape, Markers, Paint, Glitter or decals.
(Adhesive may be used if you need reinforcement. I used a glue gun on a few of these banks to seal gaping corners.)
1. Start by cutting out the extra parts you will need. You will need:
one head, two legs and one tail from cardboard (see illustration below)
2. Paint all pieces a uniform color (or cover with duct tape).
3. Decorate to add features and details.
4. Cut Hole on Top for coins and slits for: head, legs (x2) and tail.
5. Slide Head, legs and tail into place.
I like the tea sized boxes for the DIY Unicorn Banks both for their size and also due to their construction. If you use the boxes that fold open on the top, they make it easy to retrieve the money later and won’t damage the bank so that you can use these again and again.
This school year, I’ve been teaching some private Art Camps. I absolutely love this interchange and have two themes running through my thoughts, as I think through project I want to make with them:
– projects made with every day objects
– projects with a function
I can’t wait to make these with groups again and again. As I looked at ours, I also can easily image this unicorns coming to play or to be filled with treats for a party. If you use this tutorial, I love to see what you do with us and would love it if you share! on Instagram or Facebook. Use #willowdayproject
10 RAINBOW PROJECTS | HERE
MY ART PRINT SHOP ( HERE)
Have a wonderful weekend! Remember that I love to see your work. Don’t be shy. Share it with me on Instagram or Pinterest | Facebook.
SPECIAL RAINBOW SUBSCRIBER GIFT | CLICK HERE